Not this year! About 5 days before our anniversary, I said to Brett, "Well, we can just hang out at the house and maybe go to dinner or something."
Brett answered, "Oh no we are not. I made reservations in a hotel at the beach three weeks ago." I was so excited. We were actually doing it. Leaving the house and taking a trip planned by us. We have been doing couple trips for the past several years but that is because they are planned by my family for a couple retreat. This year Brett's side did one and we went to Hawaii (I wasn't complaining:) To do a trip all on our own though, initiated by us... first time. It was so fun! And so worth the cost, time spent, missing some games (sorry kids) etc, etc...
I loved every minute with my best friend. We kind of looked at each other and said, "why have we never done this?" Plus, he got a nice hotel and so now we want a new bed. That one put ours to shame. We slept better than we have in years. Of course, that could just be that we had no kids there to wake us up. :)
We went to Cannon beach on the Oregon coast. There are several fun shops that are quaint and charming. I bought chocolate at pretty much every candy shop just to compare and I would say Schwietert's won. There chocolates were not only better but bigger, and less expensive. The Chocolate Cafe did not impress on taste but was a cute store to visit nonetheless, and Bruce's Candy shop was a fun place visit and where we bought candy gifts for our kids. That is my candy/chocolate review.
I am kind of a food/treat lover so for those of you that also enjoy that sort of thing, those are my thoughts. Since I haven't totally left the topic, I should add that we ate dinner at Wayfarer. Although the menu was fairly limited and had some pretty expensive items, it was delicious and we got out of there cheaper than I thought we would and completely stuffed. We both had dessert and it did not disappoint.
I can't end this post without including just how grateful I am to the man I married. He takes such good care of me and his family. I feel adored and appreciated. I can't express how wonderful that feels and how blessed I realize I am. I use to just assume that all married couples were happy and got along great. I naturally considered that they talked about everything and relied on each other. I figured the husbands loved and respected their wives and treated them tenderly. I knew of course, couples got divorced, but I would almost always be surprised when I heard of someone I knew who did because in my eyes they were happy.
As I have aged, I admit I'm still a little naive, I recognize life is not always as it seems. I have learned to appreciate my relationship even more and work harder to keep it strong. I love flirting with my husband, having date nights, teasing him, and being his confidant. I love him more now than I ever have, and that's saying something. I even get excited when he comes home from work. I am sure this is largely due to watching how my mom always treated my dad and how my sisters treat their husbands. I want to be an awesome wife. I want to pamper my husband and have him feel as important to me as I feel to him.
With this being said, I know it's not easy and it does take patients, mistakes and work. I pray though that I can be an example to my daughters as my husband is surely an example to our sons. I hope that one day after choosing well, they will look back and be grateful for a strong, healthy marriage and say, "I knew what it was suppose to look like and how to get it because of you."
I know that is how Brett and I feel about our own parents. To Brett, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY BABE! I LOVE YOU!
I was not smart enough to pack sunglasses, but with the lack of sun we have had this year... who can blame me.
a classic Brett face. :)
view from our hotel window.
notice he is on the far right.
I am directing where Brett should stand to take a good picture of the flowers, but he's not listening.
see how cute the stores are?








No comments:
Post a Comment