Welcome to Our Blog!

I try to keep up with the happenings of life, but lately that seems impossible. I will try to add new recipes, so if you like to try new ones (especially desserts) check out the right hand side. Otherwise, WELCOME!

Friday, November 28, 2008

Sorry, can I get through? I will not cut in line!

Thanksgiving was WONDERFUL! I will post pictures later, when I get them off Brett's camera. Chrisy and Steve's family spent it with us and it was great fun. Dinner was very tasty (since I made most of it, it sounds like I'm boasting, and I am.) Brett always smokes a turkey and his of course, was very yummy. He is the meat expert in our home, however (I say with a giddy feeling) I liked my turkey better. It was so moist and tender, with lots of flavor. I owe thanks to Bridget Durst who told me the recipe and to Lisa Nelson who gave it to her. I changed it a bit, but kept the basic concept, and it turned out perfect.
I am positive though, Brett liked his better, but maybe someday he'll think I'm as cool as him. *grin*
Well since Thanksgiving pictures will have to wait for the next post, I'll talk more of Thanksgiving then.
Today's post can cover today. I did the early morning shopping (black Friday as referred to by retailers) for the first time. I honestly didn't know what to expect, but thought I'd give it a try. I went to bed fairly early, so by 2:30am I was wide awake. I got up, checked on kids to make sure they were warm enough, stepped in a puddle of water, got ready and drove to Walmart. Since NO one was on the roads at 3am I was somewhat surprised to see a full parking lot. I knew the sales didn't start till 5am, so I figured I would just do my grocery shopping first. Only one problem, I forgot my list. By the time I grabbed everything I could remember from my list, I only had 1 hour and 45 minutes to wait until I could get what I came for. I walked around looking for everything I wanted and waiting for it to become available. It was funny to me to see the long lines of people waiting for the product to be released. It was sad to hear people being rude over these products, after all, they are only things. Just before 5am, I went to where my first item was and saw a small group of women, who I of course, felt compelled to talk to. I got teased by them for having groceries in my cart. They could tell this was my first time, even teasing that I would ditch my food before the end of the shopping trip. For that reason alone, I didn't. They were great and I came away with a phone number for a play date.
I managed, with the help of some friends I ran into, to get everything I went for. My most memorable part of the whole experience was a girl age 15 sobbing because she didn't get what she wanted and didn't care who saw her throw a fit. It was very.... eye opening. That is the part of Christmas I don't like.
When I came home and snuck back in bed, Brett woke and asked if I was going shopping. When I told him I was done, he was amazed. He laughed when I told him what it was like, and impressed that I got everything I had went for (he especially liked the sheets:)
When the kids woke up, I discovered that Jeb peed the bed. I later discovered that puddle of water was not water after all. He was just to tired to walk to the toilet.

4 comments:

Rachael said...

Tee hee hee--you stepped in pee!

1boy4girls said...

I LOVE black friday. I must have missed you at our favorite place (I wonder how that happened). I think as long as you go knowing that the "adventure" is the fun part and you either will or won't get your desired items, then it's totally fun. It's when people are mean and nasty and worse of all, unkind to the employees who are totally unappreciated as it is, then I don't enjoy it. I went by myself and had a great time!

Sorry about the pee thing. That is funny though!

Mandi said...

I think Brett secretly likes your turkey better, but he can't admit it. That would be admitting defeat. But seriously, Mary, can I have you cook my thanksgiving meal for me next year? You always make everything look so pretty.

Ethington Family said...

Mandi- you are always so nice. I would love to make your meal, if that means you're coming for Thanksgiving. Wouldn't that be soo fun?! *BIG GRIN* Love you LITTLE sis!!