Who would have thought I was ruining my son's life with a dentist appointment.
Janey and Seth got off the bus, and while we were walking back to the house I casually mentioned (doing so with the absolute belief it would be thought very little of) that they both had dentist appointments tomorrow and I would need to pick them up a little early from school. I actually thought a little celebration would be more the the response I would get, early out of school and the dentist always gives them toys.
Janey said an enthusiastic, Okay. While Seth began to rage about how he hated the dentist. I honestly had no idea. In all the times we have gone he has never said a word. This time however, he has given an earful. I am actually only in here now, to relieve myself from it. In fact, he just now opened the door to say, "You are the meanest mom in the world... today...probably!"
The only consolation is that Janey and Jeb are defending me at every turn. As Seth yells and slams the doors and yells some more, oh and cries. Janey and Jeb hurry to tell him not to be so mean and to "get over it," while giving me words of prise and hugs. Janey just followed Seth's out burst with a hug and whispered, "I'm sorry you are getting treated mean by Seth." See how cute my kids are?
This would all seem sad and even upsetting to me if it weren't so funny.
Seth did seem to calm there for a while and I thought we were over the worse when he said, "I love you, but I'm just mad about going to the dentist."
I asked, "Seth why do you hate dentists?"
"I just hate what they do! I hate their job." (oh, dang...there goes that career option)
"Seth, Uncle Mike is a dentist." I said trying to change his mind.
"yeah, well I don't like him as a dentist, I just like him as a guy." he stated.
Well he has been yelling for about an hour. I'll give him one thing, the kid has duration!
5 comments:
Now you see why suicide rates among dentists are so high!
Man, I have missed out on all the latest. But I must admit my favorites are this one "the fit" and the great debater at the gym!! Ha! Guess you have to run into one once in your life.
How funny. See, it's NOT just me!
Oh, by the way, I was thinking that the pics of Adrie and Jeb in the hug would be so adorable to use on their wedding announcements in 20 years! How stinkin' cute would that be? Hey, I can dream can't I??
I love that your kids are sticking up for you. So cute. Don't you just love when some random comment like going to the dentist comes back with a out of left field reaction. I am usually taken so off guard that I don't know how to possibly respond in a way to make it better. I'm glad that other mom's have those moments too.
So, is this not something you deal with very often? Cause I'm starting to feel like my kids are as bad as I think they are! I swear, I deal with "the fit" on a daily basis, if not both of them, at least Ali. Kids are so hard sometimes aren't they? But definately worth it at the end of the day when you can watch them sleep! I laughed so hard at your post about the debator... I totally remember your inability to make big words make sense! We used to laugh all the time cause you would use a word you didn't even know in a sentence. The rest of us didn't know either, but we weren't crazy enough to try to use it like you always did! Oh well, you kept us entertained! I miss you so much!
Post a Comment