First off, thanks to all those posting darling family pictures. Brett has already been after me to have ours set up, and of course, I haven't. Nothing like reminding me (and him) several times that I still haven't done my job. *grin*
Well, I will start off by saying how much I love the stage each of my kids are in. Today, I worked in Janey's writing class. I am glad she is excited to have me there and openly shows her love for me. In fact, last Tuesday when I worked in there she had a surprise for me. She had over heard me telling my friend Bridget that I wanted a book from the book fair. Janey took her own money to school and bought it for me. Then presented it to me when I came to help. (pretty sweet, huh?) Yes, the book was for 6th graders at best, but I still wanted it and it was very cute!
Then today, after I was done helping in Janey's class I went to Seth's school to eat lunch with him. He thought it only fair since I hadn't yet. I arrived a little early and spent recess with him too. Here my cool 1st grader was so happy to see me, and told all his friends, "hey, that's my mom."
Just in case not everyone heard the first time he kept repeating it about every 5 minutes until everyone was asking, "So, you're Seth's mom?" I love 1st graders. Seth didn't even act embarrassed even when I gave him reason to.
One of the play ground teachers called to me from across the play ground, "How tall are you?"
Not hearing her, I started walking to where she stood by the Tether Ball Poles. Then she repeated the question and pointed to the 10' pole. "Do you think you could connect this?" She held up a hook that was suppose to attach to the very top of that pole. When seeing me stand next to it and it was obvious I could no way reach it, she said, "never mind."
But some little thing like a couple of feet wasn't going to stop me. I said, "let me see that." Then I proceed to jump to see if I could hook it. It only took one to discover white girls can't jump (at least not this one). I then (in my mind had a brilliant idea) started shimming up the pole, trying to reach the top so I could hook it. The times I reached the top I would immediately start sliding back down when I would lift one of my hands to hook it.
The lady, perhaps a little embarrassed for me, said, "I can get a ladder, but thanks for trying."
"No, no," I responded, "I can do this, just hold this hook till I get up there."
That didn't work either, but this time when I slid down, some little 1st grader boy (to either save me from myself or show off, I'm not sure and don't care) jumped on, climbed up and hooked it in about 5 seconds.
To show how great this age is though, instead of hiding from the disgrace, Seth instantly tried climbing the pole too.
I hope I have more than a year before that changes.
Than, completely unrelated, but I found funny. I was at Coastal and holding Kaze while waiting in line to purchase an item. The older women in front kept turning to Kaze, who was smiling her big toothy grin. The lady said, "boy, she has a lot of teeth."
"Yes," I answered.
"She looks heavy" she said, "Is her father a big man?"
"Yes," I said again.
"She looks like a tom boy." How does an 11 month old being held and smiling an enormous grin look like a tom boy? I am pretty sure she meant she looked like a boy named Tom. But I'm not offended. Brett and I have often said she could be mistaken for a boy- (of course, that was before her natural curly hair and big bows.) I still had to resist the urge to whisper to Kaze to stop smiling.
2 comments:
yes, enjoy the youth!! It is so fun. And I was laughing to myself because I can totally picture you competing with that dang tether ball pole!! Tee hee hee!
Cute stories! Janey's a doll. I don't even think my kids here me when I say anything. Let alone would they buy me something that I mentioned that I wanted. Too cute! And the tether ball thing. Totally you! Cute. Well, we are looking forward to spending some time with the boys. I'm sure Adrie and Conner will think they're in heaven!
Post a Comment