Welcome to Our Blog!

I try to keep up with the happenings of life, but lately that seems impossible. I will try to add new recipes, so if you like to try new ones (especially desserts) check out the right hand side. Otherwise, WELCOME!

Saturday, September 06, 2008

The Keys

There are a few stories to share, and so in choosing one, I choose the most embarrassing one.

Yesterday, I had quiet a few places to run, so I started just after Kaze's morning nap and wanted to have it all done in time for her afternoon nap (yes, two naps- I'm spoiled). After going to the post office, bank, and dry cleaner's I just had a trip to the store and my brother-in-laws.
After getting a few things at Safeway, I came out and unlocked the van when the alarm to the van started going off. I wasn't sure why, because although I had one those panic key chains, I hadn't used it. Plus, it hasn't worked for a long time because I think the battery is dead. I really hate using that set of keys, but I couldn't find the other set when it was time to leave that morning.
Finally after several long minutes with everyone in the parking lot staring at me, and an employee coming over to give "helpful" suggestions, I got it turned off. The best part was an older lady who had just parked close by me when it happened and she wouldn't even get out of her car until the situation was handled. I think she was afraid of being linked to us (possibly the visiting grandma).
After finally turning off the alarm, loading Jeb and Kaze and the groceries I went to start the van. Nothing. I tried again....again nothing. I called Brett and he was there in a few minutes. I told him what happened and he said the alarm stopped but for some reason the security in the car never reset, so he walked to Ace hardware (next to Safeway) and got a wrench so he could unhook the battery and reconnect it. By doing that my alarm security was reset.
On the way home though, I noticed a rattling sound that didn't sound so good and made me a little worried, but being the car expert that I am, I ignored it.
Then last night, we had invited the missionaries over for dinner. I just was getting things started when I realized I didn't have everything I needed. The meat was suppose to marinate for one hour before cooking which meant I needed to hurry and get my supplies before the kids came home from school in 30 minutes. I jumped in the car with the kids and made a second speedy trip to a different Safeway. While I was loading my things to leave, I was thinking how it was good that the alarm didn't go off because I needed to hurry home (in fact, I skipped locking my car all together just to make sure)
Just as I was thinking this, a man tapped me on the shoulder and told me in broken English that my keys were in the trunk key slot. Sure enough, the keys I like and were looking for that morning were dangling out of the trunk key slot. Embarrassment settled in when I realized they had been there since early morning when I cleaned out the back of my car. That is also what made the alarm go off, and prevented it from resetting my security. AND GUESS WHAT? On the way home, NO more rattling. It was the keys hitting the back of the van that was making the clinking noise that had me worried for a couple of seconds until I choose to ignore it.
So, looks like the van is here to stay for at least another couple of years!!
On a side note I choose to point out, Brett passed the back of my van at least twice when he walked to Ace. I just wanted to mention that, so I wasn't the only one who didn't notice a rather large key chain with three keys dangling from the back of the van.
THE END

3 comments:

Ann Yeaman said...

Thanks for the laugh, that's a good story!

Rachael said...

That is funny, glad to hear that I am not the only one who does stuff like that.

1boy4girls said...

Too cute! I love that you laugh at yourself (and let us too!). btw, that's the kind of stuff that I do ALL THE TIME! It makes me love you all the more.